Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Reevaluating the Value of Endings

Youtuber and Musican Alex Carpender uploaded a vlog today about how our experiences shouldn't be tainted or somehow devalued because they didn't last forever. That letting go of good things rather than "holding onto them for dear life" actually makes them more valuable rather than less. It was a really thoughtful video and and it made me reflect on past experiences as well as events yet to unfold.

Tons of experiences and people have come and gone for me, and I'm not even out of High School! Some of these things I was eager to be done with, but a lot of great things have ended too. What about my best friend from elementary school? We grew apart in distance and then in other ways, or maybe the other ways came first? Sometimes I wish we were still friends, but that shouldn't change all the hours of scootering in suburbia and made-up games and trampoline flips and dressing like boys and being chased (literally) by boys. My years of being a little kid had to end, and even if our friendship did not have to go along with it, I'm glad she was there. I'm glad I have those memories to remind me that our friendship had value and continues to be important.

I made a huge decision this year regarding my summer plans. I'm going somewhere completely different from the beloved place I have been returning to since I was eight, leaving all my best friends behind. It was a hard choice for me and not completely my own, but I think it is the right one. I'm probably never going to be as close with them as we were those seven summers which has been making me rather sad, but I'm learning that, well, it's okay. It's okay because I had an amazing unique experience with them that will continue to be a valuable source of memories, inspiration and general happiness. And I get to create another amazing unique experience with a new group of people!

The Epiphany: It's not fair for me to devalue things that are over. Those things were valuable to me when they were happening, and that shouldn't change just because they aren't happening anymore. A lot has ended for me, but even more things are beginning, now more than ever. Nothing lasts forever, but that doesn't mean that everything that ends becomes depressing and obsolete. I am so grateful for everything I had and ready to appreciate all the new, coming my way.

3 comments:

  1. Personally, I could never imagine spending my summers any differently than at girl scout camp, which I've also attended since I was 8, coincidentally. I've just formed connections with too many staff members (who I can't see outside of camp) to ever imagine leaving. It would be terrible.

    PS: Good luck with APUSH. I'm stuck in the early 20th century. It's so CONFUSING. So much happens!
    Pop Quiz: Where was McKinley assassinated (1901)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't imagine leaving, especially since a bunch of my friends are going back!
    And thanks, apush is killing me.
    Buffalo, New York, but I'm not going to pretend I didn't look that up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey, we can't talk about the DBQ's or FRQ's until Sunday, just to let you know...

    ReplyDelete