Monday, April 11, 2011

10 things I know to be true

The idea for this list comes from a talk given by spoken word poet Sarah Kay at TED2011.

1.Nobody can love something as much as they will miss it later.
2.People are not mind readers (but I wish they were).
3.If I ever met David Tennant, I would probably cry.
4.Ice cream always tastes better with gummy bears.
5.I will never stop loving mud fights or Disney.
6.Words are as pretty as pictures.
7.If God plays favorites, he is no God of mine.
8.I have a wonderful life, and I'm wasting it.
9.A few people have me figured out better than I ever will.
10.Magic is real.

The idea behind this is that if you started to compare your list of 10 true things with the lists of other people, you would discover the following: 1) Someone has the exact same thing or something very similar to something on your list, 2) Someone wrote something the complete opposite of what you wrote down, 3) Someone had something on their list you've never even heard of before and 4) Someone addressed something in their list that made you see that thing in a new way.

It is fascinating that when given the same assignment, each person will react in a completely different way, and still have certain aspects of their list be exactly the same as someone else! Hmmmm... I think a profound message about the nature of  humanity is hidden somewhere here, but I am way to tired to figure out what it is. Getting three hours of sleep is awesome.

Anyway, goodnight! Comments are always welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, that sounds like an interesting idea. You can tell a lot about people from what they believe to be truth. My mom took a class in college where the professor told them to write something they believed was true. Then he asked them an endless string of questions until he got them to say "well, because we think it is." Who knows what's actually true or not? We disprove old ideas all the time.

    ReplyDelete