Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fingerprints

You tell me our fingers fit together
Have you never seen the surface of these hands?
Read the mismatched curves of their topography
The overs and unders at opposite angles
If I am swimming you are soaring
We are fixed at different latitudes
Traveling in opposite directions
Each sure the other is counterclockwise
Only as close as these mountains let us
Balancing on distant snowcapped peaks
We often don’t hear what the other one speaks
Through the mercurial wind, the miles of mountains
The gusts of air smashing into walls of rock
Getting shattered and scattered
My messages reflecting back to my lips
The important words in the back of my lungs
You tell me our fingers fit together
I wish you would explain that claim to me
You laugh like asymmetry is something beautiful
And ask if I would stand out here with you
For a few more moments
I'm unsure why, but I always agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment