Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Yesterday, I was exploring old bookshelves in a room neither I nor anyone else in my family often bothers with. Nearly all of these books belong to my dad, novels he must have read at one point but have since been retired to a secluded section of shelf space upstairs. I was scanning through them when I came across a book that caught my eye not for its title, but for the multi-colorful binding . It was a book I had not seen in a long time, a children's book that looked out of place in a sea of biographies and historical fiction.

Oh, The Places You'll Go. A book that defines my childhood, along with many other childhoods of the past, present, and future (hopefully). I probably liked this book even before I understood the words simply for the colorful pictures and rhythmic sentences. The first real clue that I would one day be absolutely infatuated with poetry. On the inside cover I found this:

"I love this book! It's something inspirational to pull
out when you feel like a putz. Happy Birthday!"

My uncle gave this book to my dad for his birthday in 1991, when they were both in their twenties! My uncle's note made me think about how those childish things most adults seem to dismiss might not be as silly as they appear. Take this book as an example. If you strip away all the illustrations, the witty rhyme scheme, and the words that aren't words, you are left with a clear message: You can achieve. It's simplistic of course, but I think it speaks to a fundamental truth that we can all find inspiration in. If you ever feel frazzled by life's frustrating complexity, I would recommend going back to basics. Not only is it a comfort to connect to a simpler time, but it may even give you some insight into your current state of affairs. Sometimes, people forget that some of the most important things happen to be the simplest. Being able to find meaning in books like Oh, the Places You'll Go, is a beautiful skill to have. A skill my uncle still has, and one I hope I will keep far into my future.

"You're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!"
 - Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment