Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Greek Mythology is Fascinating



Every year there is this event at my school called Olympics. It’s basically this super big competition where each grade picks a theme and a color and we compete against each other, mostly in sports, but points are also awarded for team spirit, decorations, etc. The seniors almost always win, and while the freshmen and sophomores really don’t stand a chance, the juniors have been known to swing a victory periodically in our school’s history. Can I here a woot woot for the 2012 junior class aka my class!


Anyway, my grade’s theme this year is Junior Olympians (it’s just a coincidence that our theme is so closely related to the name of the competition). I started researching Ancient Greek culture so I could get some costume ideas for our dress-up day, but then I started researching Greek Mythology and I realized it is so cool. These gods are not just big mighty bearded assholes that sit up in the sky all day. Well actually a lot of them are assholes, but that’s why Greek Mythology is so interesting. They are Gods, but they are so human. They quarrel, they betray each other, they kill, they love, they destroy, they rebuild. They even interact with people on earth and have children with them which frankly I don’t understand, nor do I care to.  It’s not my idea of the supernatural, but it would make a great afternoon soap opera! A Greek Mythology Soap Opera. Someone needs to make that happen.  


 As I was reading descriptions of the major gods and goddesses, I came across one goddess in particular that struck me. Athena, the goddess of wisdom, sports, crafts, strength, and a whole slew of other admirable qualities. She pwned Poseidon and was praised by the Athenian people when she gave them the gift of an olive branch, providing them with wood, oil, and food.  Athena engaged in a weaving contest with a mortal named Arachne who claimed she could weave better than Athena. When Athena beat her, she turned her into a spider to punish her for her arrogance so she could continue to weave with “neither a spindle nor loom.” AND when the god Hephaestus attempted to rape Athena she eluded him and his semen fell to earth and impregnated some other chick! How awesome is she?


Athena is a true matriarch. Her confidence and wisdom has earned her a spot on my list of people who inspire me. She is the second non-human to make this list. Extra points if you can guess who the other nonperson is.


       Best wishes!           

No comments:

Post a Comment